One of the most effective ways to collect email addresses and grow your list is via your website. Think about it: the fact that an individual took the time out to search for your website, visit it and read about your product means that they are interested in it.
When thinking about building your email lists online the number one thing to remember is that you must use every opportunity to grow your list. You must also think about and define email hygiene in order to make sure that your list remains clean.
Every page on your website should provide your users with an opportunity to sign up, thus joining your list. Sure you will have your subscription form prominently displayed on your front page; however, don’t neglect the other WebPages as well. Listed below are 5 strategies that business owners can use to effectively build their email list online.
1. Incentives – This is critical as customers NEED a reason to sign up for your list. They often ask themselves the question: what is in it for me? Offer your customers incentives, which can include giving away a free eBook, free shipping, offering special discount etc.
2. Newsletter Links – If you periodically send out newsletters to an audience that is closely related to your target market (which could potentially lead to more customers), then be sure to include links or banners that link back to your website. Some people opt to call it link swapping.
3. Let your List Work for You – One of the best (and easiest) ways to grow your current email list is to have your current subscribers do the work for you. Therefore when sending out information to your current list, don’t be afraid to include “refer a friend” or “forward to a friend”. Doing this will allow you to acquire a few new email sign ups. However, be careful with the email that you receive as some could be bad email addresses. Address this issue by using email address validation service.
4. Signatures and Footers – Another excellent way to build your email list is by incorporating your sign up URL in your signature and footer of every email message that you send (this also includes your personal emails). You can use programs like MS Outlook to set this up by default. Your sales and customer service teams will find this feature quite useful.
5. Get Social – If your company has a social media marketing program then use the opportunity that it provides by periodically promoting your sign up URL.
An email list is one of the most valuable assets that your business can have; therefore it is important that you never miss an opportunity to grow your list. Use these tips above to grow your list and reap the rewards. However with the growth of your list make sure that you also have list hygiene software to maintain a high quality list.